Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
1. The Balmer equation is ; where RH ＝ 1.0973731534 X107 m and n must be greater than 2.
a. Calculate the wavelength in nanometers for a transition from n＝5 according to the Balmer equation.
b. The next series of elements in the periodic table with begin in the 9th row. What wavelength would be observed for a transition from n＝9 in the hydrogen atom according to the Balmer equation?
2. Bohr generalized the Balmer equation as follows: ; where ni ˂ nf.
a. What is the wavelength for a transition from n＝ 5 to n＝1?
3. The Bohr equation can be expressed in terms of energy as: ; where RH ＝ 2.1798736 X10-18 J and ni ˂ nf.
a. What is the energy associated with the transition from n＝5 to n＝1?
b. What energy would be associated with a transition from n＝9 to n＝6?
4. Calculate the energy for n＝3 from the equation: ; for the hydrogen atom (Z＝1)
5. Calculate the energy for n＝5 from the equation: ; for the Li2+ ion atom (Z＝3)
6. Calculate the radius for n＝8 from the equation: ; where a0 ＝ 0.5292 Å.
7. Calculate the radius for n＝4 from the equation: ; where a0 ＝ 0.5292 Å for the He+ ion where Z＝2 and compare to the value for the hydrogen atom where Z＝1.